Sunday, October 5, 2014

Supernatural Season 1 (2005)

A few weeks ago I started watching Supernatural, after having dismissed it for quite a long time. I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't hate it or find it cheesy in most ways (some cheese is appropriate).

I like the format of shows like this, where they have an overall season plot but mini plots along the way. Sam and Dean are chasing this demon that killed their mother when they were younger, but are also stopping along the way to help others with supernatural problems. They are also trying to find their father, who has disappeared and not left many clues in his wake.

Something that quite surprises me is the production value of the show. Having been made in 2005 you would think that it wouldn't look that great and that the special effect wouldn't hold up. While some of the effects are pretty bad, they don't seem to use them all that often.

I'm pretty excited to continue watching this show, as I hear that the episodes get better after season 1. Hopefully the acting gets somewhat better, as Dean and Sam aren't the best at showing emotions. I'm also quite surprised at how long this show has been on the air, they're in their 10th season (starting this tuesday). I guess their fanbase is so large that it can keep a TV show alive even after ten years.

I give the first season a 6/10 mostly for interesting plot and good production values.
69% critics score on Rotten Tomatoes
85% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes

1 comment: